Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sight words

My nephew can read almost any word at this point (except things like "ough" and "tion" words), but he does it slowly, usually letter-by-letter and with only a few sight words under his belt. He obviously needs more practice and drilling.

So I went looking for a good website for sight words. I found one with printable flash cards, a word book with each word used in a sentence, and even 2 stories which include all of the "Dolch" sight words.

According to Wikipedia Dolch Sight words were compiled by a Edward Dolch in 1948 from the words he commonly found in childrens' books.

Interestingly, Wikipedia says:

Houghton Mifflin asked Ted to write and illustrate a children's primer using only 225 "new-reader" vocabulary words. The result of that challenge was "The Cat In The Hat"


BTW, the Wikipedia page for Dolch site words lists them all.

I printed off pages of flash cards, I'm going to see about getting them laminated for durability and shuffleability. I intend to start flashing them at him soon.

Now I have to figure out a game we can play with them.

No comments: